Stores as easily as any other dry ingredients, no refrigeration needed until package is opened. SAF Instant Yeast is a high potency, fast acting yeast that can be added directly to your dry ingredients without it having to be put in a starter first. SAF Instant Yeast is more than twice as active as regular compressed yeast. You’ll need less – and less storage space.
How is this different than instant yeast? The most notable difference is that active dry yeast needs to be proofed and this SAF instant yeast (Red) does not. Other than that, one can be substituted for the other in a recipe. Usually you can get away with using a little less SAF Instant Red yeast if a recipe calls for active dry yeast.
The less yeast that goes into a dough (and the longer the dough rises — “slow rising”), the better the flavor the dough will have. Bakers are entirely familiar with how “slow rises” typically have better tastes as completed breads, however, this is truly more a function of time for the rising dough and not as to they type of yeast used. Many find SAF Instant Red far more convenient for storage (much longer shelf life!) and that it can be added directly into your ingredients.
INGREDIENTS: Yeast, Sorbitan Monostearate, Ascorbic Acid
Saf-Instant Red is a granular free-flowing yeast for use in doughs with sugar levels of up to 12% (Baker’s Percent). Saf-Instant Red is best for short-time fermentation processes.
- Provides uniform fermentation throughout your baking system
- Vacuum packaging ensures freshness, consistency, and minimal activity loss until opened
- Provides tolerance to higher dough temperatures
- Improves machinability
- Free-flowing properties make it as easy to scale and meter as other dry ingredients
- Warmer dough temperatures are preferred while using Saf-Instant Red; this decreases the need to cool doughs to maintain proper fermentation
- Can reduce mixing time 10 – 30%, compared to compressed yeast
Saf-Instant Red is recommended for various baked goods including:
• English muffins
• Flat breads
• Hearth breads
• Pan breads
• Pizza crust
Use 1 to 3% based on flour weight. Mix with flour or add to dough during first stage of mixing. Avoid direct contact with ice water. An increase of 3° – 5°F over normal dough temperatures may be required to achieve desired fermentation level.
C E R T I F I C A T I O N S
• Non-GMO Project Verified
• Kosher Parve
• Shelf life of unopened product stored in cool dry conditions is 2 years from production date
• Refrigeration is not required for unopened packages
SAF yeast comes vacuum sealed in a 1 lb. package and its long shelf life can will be extended even further in the fridge or freezer. After opening, SAF yeast maintains potency for a minimum of 5 years when stored in a freezer. Some users have reported it keeping much longer than that. The yeast is granulated and until the package is opened it feels almost like a solid brick because of the airtight vacuum seal.
- An all-purpose, professional-grade instant yeast
- No need to proof, just add to flour
- Available in a vacuum-packed, 1-pound brick
- Makes about 96 loaves of bread
- Store in an airtight container in your freezer