Sumac grows wild in the Middle East and gives a fruity, sour flavor to a dish. It is used in a way similar to lemon juice or vinegar. It can be sprinkled on fish, salads, and kebabs, and goes well with lentils, in stuffing, or mixed with yogurt. No, it’s not the stuff that may be growing in the wild near your house, but rather, the full of antioxidants native to the Middle East. It is high in antioxidants and vitamin C.
Check out our Instagram post and recipe below for this dish by Uprooted Vegan Cuisine.
Mediterranean Lentil Salad by Uprooted Vegan Cuisine
* 2 cups cooked green lentils, freshly cooked from one cup dried lentils (of using canned for convenience, drain and rinse until no longer foaming)
* 3 Persian cucumber, chopped, about 1-1/2 cups
* 1 small-medium red bell pepper, diced
* 1 jalapeño, finely chopped (optional)
* 2 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes slice in halves if large or leave whole if small ones
* 1 medium sized red onion, sliced
* 1 cup almond feta or 1 medium avocado diced
* 1/2 cup sun-dried julienne tomatoes, drained, olive oil preserved preferred
* 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives and green olives sliced ( I like to mix it up)
* 1/2 cup combined-freshly chopped mint, dill or basil leaves
* 1 cup freshly chopped parsley leaves
* 3-4 tablespoons your best cold pressed extra virgin olive oil or specialty oil-I love mushroom sage
* 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon Sumac powder
* 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
* 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (optional)
* 1 teaspoon zaatar
* 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
* Sea Beans and black pepper as needed
* In a jar, add all the dressing ingredients extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt and pepper, zaatar, chili flakes, sumac and spices.
* Soak the washed dried lentils for about 30 minutes in warm water. Cook them for 15-18 minutes until tender but not mushy. Drain completely and gently pat dry. Place the lentils back in a bowl and pour in 1/2 the vinaigrette and allow it to marinate for 15 minutes. Set aside.
* In a large salad bowl, mix the salad ingredients together chopped cucumber, bell pepper, baby tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and fresh herbs.
* Add the marinating lentils to the bowl.
* Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the salad and mix gentle to coat. Add the almond feta or avocado. Leave aside for 30 minutes before serving, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
* When ready to serve, give the salad a quick mix and taste to adjust seasoning if at all needed